15 nov CONFERENCE: URBAN REFUGEES AND MIGRANT INTEGRATION IN THE CITY , 18NOV 10.45-16.00U TILBURG
Urban refugees often remain unreported and undocumented and deprived of assistance from the international community. Without access to basic needs such as schooling and health services living a life as invisibles, they are extremely vulnerable to practices of abuse, exploitation and ill-treatment such as discrimination and violence.
The fall 2016 DAMR-conference will be devoted to research on Urban Refugees and will be followed by the inaugural lecture ‘Victimisation through Migration’ of Conny Rijken.
Speakers include :
- Lisa Berntsen (Tilburg University) undocumented urban migrant workers
- Louise Bonneau & Lieneke Slingenberg (Free University Amsterdam) (In)formal migrant settlements and the right to respect for a home
- Sjors Joosten (Wageningen University) Survival on the Streets of ‘Babylon’: West African migrants in Barcelona
- Tesseltje de Lange (Tilburg University/University of Amsterdam) Volunteers and pinstriped suits: quarter-making for refugees or PR and where does the law fit in?
- Aslan Zorlu (University of Amsterdam) Attitudes toward asylum seekers in small local communities
- Teressa Juzwiak, Elaine Lebon-McGregor and Melissa Siegel (Maastricht University) Migrant and Refugee Integration in Global Cities: the role of businesses and cities 2
Participation in the DAMR fall event is free of charge. Please register by sending an email to L.E.Berntsen@uvt.nl